DescriptionMonumental inscriptions from
- Christ Church, Harrogate
- St Mark's Church, Harrogate
- St Peter's Church, Harrogate
- St Wilfred's Church, Harrogate
- Grove Road Cemetery, Harrogate
Since 1660 there have been many buildings called "The Crown". In 1847 The Crown Hotel on Crown Place had a central section rebuilt in a chaste neoclassical design. In 1870 the Crown estate ran as far as Parliament Street, was acquired by George Dawson, who employed J H Hirst of Bristol as his architect. The Crown’s Georgian wings were removed and replaced with a powerful pair of Italian Renaissance replacements which gave the building great character. George Dawson also planned a tower and new shops in Crown Place and Crescent Road, all of which were built after Dawson’s death in […]
The art deco building housed Woolworths before Boots took over. Boots in 1996 was on the other side of the street.
Harrogate’s Cenotaph is located in the centre of Harrogate facing Parliament Street with Cambridge Road and Cambridge Crescent on either side.
The front brass plate is made up of 3 panels of 3 columns with the name of 641 people who lost their lives in the First World War.
On the rear plaque there are another 238 names of those who also lost their lives in the First World War.
On the lower half of the rear plaque are 314 names of people who died in the Second World War.
This post was written by Web Master